Sunday, October 2, 2011

Meatfree Monday: Cinnamon Maple Quinoa with Apple

     I've been hearing about and seeing a lot of recipes using quinoa lately. It seems to be pretty high in protein and fiber and is gluten free. It pretty much seems like the perfect food. I tried to buy it one time when I made this recipe. It was so expensive at around $10 a pound that I used brown rice instead.
     I was at Trader Joe's a couple of weeks ago (Oh, how I wish it were closer!), and I noticed they had 1lb boxes for only $3.99. That is less than half of what the other store was selling it for. Of course, I bought it and that brings us to my Meatfree Monday post for this week.
     The original recipe is from Jessica Seinfeld. I did change it quite a bit though. For one thing, we picked about 24 pounds of apples yesterday, so I wanted to use some of them!
     I loved this breakfast. This is a great alternative to oatmeal in the mornings, and I'm excited to use quinoa again. My husband's only complaint was the addition of almonds...which he only noticed when he was almost done eating it. I think he should eat blindfolded anyhow.

1-1/4 c water
1 c quinoa
1 Tbl butter
1/2 cup sweet potato puree (or pumpkin)
2 Tbl maple syrup
1 Tbl brown sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
2 Tbl almonds
1 apple
1 Tbl brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

  • Boil water. Add quinoa and reduce to simmer. Cook 12 minutes, uncovered. Remove pot from heat, cover and let sit for about 5 minutes.
  • Melt butter. Stir in sweet potato (or pumpkin), syrup, milk ,cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt. 
  • Stir the sauce into the quinoa.
  • Make topping: chop almonds and apple. Combine with brown sugar and cinnamon.
  • Divide quinoa into bowls and top with the apple mixture.

  






Meatfree features of the week...
a small collection of my favorite meat free recipes that I come across as I search the web each week. All the recipes that I post from various blogs will be stumbled to bring a little extra love to their posts...and if you happen to be one of my featured recipes you can grab my "I was featured on Meat Free Monday" button for your post.


Pumpkin Mac N Cheese from My Fabulous Recipes
Pumpkin might be my favorite thing about fall...pumpkins and apples!
































Caprese Grilled Cheese by Closet Cooking
Well, pretty much anything Kevin makes looks amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It