Monday, October 17, 2011

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding with Apples & Cinnamon Sauce

     For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned Gloria's blog: Canela Kitchen. I looked up canela and it means "cinnamon." I love cinnamon, so I knew right away that I was going to have a hard time deciding which recipe to pick. There were so many good recipes, especially dessert recipes! After I looked through the archives, and reading through most of the blog, I decided on a bread pudding. I had some old bread that I wanted to use up, and my grandpa always made bread pudding when he had old bread, so it held a bit of nostalgia for me.
     I mentioned in some earlier posts that we visited the local apple orchard and ended up with 24 pounds of apples. I thought I could use a couple up by adding some chopped apples to the bread pudding, and what goes better with apples than cinnamon? Not much I think. So, I changed the vanilla sauce to a cinnamon sauce. I think maybe Gloria would like this change since she likes cinnamon enough to put it in her blog title. Another change I made was to reduce the liquids in the recipe, thus taking away the need to bake with a water bath.

3 cups bread in 1 inch pieces (or use enough to fill up your 9x13 pan)
2 chopped apples
2 cups hot milk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbl butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Sauce:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbl butter
3/4 cup water
1-1/4 Tbl cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon (to taste)

  • Put bread and apples into 9x13 baking dish. (Use an 8x8 dish if you like a thick pudding)
  • Mix eggs, milk, butter, sugar, honey, vanilla, and nutmeg.
  • Pour egg mixture over the bread and apples. 
  • Bake @ 350* for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
  • For the sauce: Mix sugar, butter, water, and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Heat and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and cinnamon. 
  • Cool before pouring over pudding.
linked up to
and 



16 comments:

  1. Saucy and delicious! You can't go wrong with bread pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like apple pie meets bread pudding, two of my all time favorites. I can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so tasty! I love bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bread Pudding is such a comforting dessert and your recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing and it is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
    Miz Helen
    Southwest Corn and Potato Soup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - just look at that sauce. My 3rd child would be very happy if I made this tonight.

    Great SRC pick! Hope you'll stop by and see my reveal.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really good. I have never actually made (or eaten) bread pudding. This totally makes me want to try it. Looks like a lovely (and warm) fall recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made a bread pudding -- this one looks like the place to start, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much dear! I really love this recipe and love apples! Im so glad you like my recipe!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fantastic! I'm inspired to make an apple bread pudding now! I made one over the summer (well, really a baked french toast but they're pretty similar) with blueberries. It was delish!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny you say that. I was thinking it was a lot like french toast when I made it. I made a delicious blueberry cream cheese french toast a few months ago, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So perfect this time of year.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am loving that sauce! What a great pick for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Looks great! Fun to participate in SRC with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love apples and cinnamon too! (today on my blog I made crock-pot hot apples with cinnamon. They were YUMMY!

    Thanks for being a part of the SRC, Group B, I love being your host (new assignments coming soon)! My recipe was for Frozen Breakfast Burritos. Check it out if you haven't had the chance already, I know I am a few days behind (sorry!)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/10/frozen-breakfast-burritos-secret-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is now how I will rate all other bread puddings. You have set the bar high! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This look so good!! I definitely am going to try and I am definitely will be following your blog.. If you would check out mine to that would be so great. And follow me also, I am kind of new to this but excited to share great recipes..

    Thanks,
    Brooke
    for-the-luv-of.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It