formerly

formerly Penny Pinching Provisions

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Paper Bag Apple Pie

     Admittedly sticking a paper bag into a hot oven is generally not considered good practice. My mom says she remembers Mamaw making this pie when she was little, and the oven was smoking!  It's just the ink burning off the bag. Keep the bag away from the burners, and you'll be fine. My mom has entered this pie into dessert contests and won!
    This was my first try at the paper bag pie, and it was so good. My husband, who has just recently decided that he liked apple pie (or any cooked fruit) said it was the best pie. Ever. He described it as "warm crusted apple-y goodness." He's so good with words.
     You can "cheat" and use store bought crust, but I strongly encourage you to use the homemade crust below. It's the perfect flakiness and flavor. I guess I can't complain about J's choice of words. Ha!

Crust: (makes 2-freeze one for later or make 2 pies!)
2 cups flour (take out 1/4 cup for whole wheat flour)
2/3 cup shortening
1-1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbl milk

Pie:
7 cups sliced apples (I used a combination)
2 Tbl flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
  • Combine apples, sugar, flour, and cinnamon. 
  • Arrange in unbaked 9" pie shell.
  • Mix ingredients for topping and sprinkle over apples. 
  • Place pie in large brown paper bag, folding the open end of the bag over several times. Secure with paperclips. 
  • Place bag carefully on a cookie sheet and bake in 425* oven for 1 hour. 
  • DO NOT LET PAPER BAG TOUCH THE TOP BURNER!
  • Split bag from the top when opening.


Linked up to
and 
Sweets for Saturday




1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to try this one since I saw it! We are heading to the apple orchard today and I'm going to make this as soon as we get home! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It