This baked thing was for the cake walk at the Fall Festival last week. I basically took a recipe for carrot cake, and used apples instead. Since refrigeration was not an option, I opted for maple buttercream in place of the normal cream cheese icing. It was fabulous, if I do say so myself. (I made a couple cupcakes, so I would know how it tasted.)
8 Tbl butter, softened
3 lbs apples/peel, core, chop
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
4 Tbl oil
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shortening (or butter)
1/2 tsp maple flavoring
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
7-8 tsp water
4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbl meringue powder
pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350* Grease 2 8-inch round pans with butter. Place wax paper in the bottom and grease the wax paper too.
- Put the apples in a food processor.
- Put 4 Tbl butter in skillet over Medium. When melted, add apples and brown sugar. Cook until soft and mostly dry. Let cool for a few minutes, then transfer to blender and puree.
- Add 4 Tbl butter, sugar, and oil and pulse til combined. Add eggs one at a time.
- Combine flours and other dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the flour mixture to the apples. Add the milk. Process until it just evens out.
- Pour into pans and bake til middle is set, about 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly and take out of pan to cool completely.
- For the icing: Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium until all is combined. Blend until creamy. (makes about 2-1/2 cups). To make thin consistency (for icing cake and putting between layers)Add 5 tsp water and gel coloring.
- For decorations: make another batch of icing in medium consistency. Add all ingredients until smooth, then add in 2-1/2 tsp water and gel color. Use this to pipe on decorations
linked up to