Thursday, November 3, 2011

Apple Spice Cake w/ Maple Buttercream

     I volunteer to bake things for the children at church, so that I don't have to work in the ________. You fill in the blank. There. I admitted it. I know I used to teach third grade. Wouldn't I be so good at _______. Well, maybe. But, I'd rather bake things. That is where I am in my life right now.
     This baked thing was for the cake walk at the Fall Festival last week. I basically took a recipe for carrot cake, and used apples instead. Since refrigeration was not an option, I opted for maple buttercream in place of the normal cream cheese icing. It was fabulous, if I do say so myself. (I made a couple cupcakes, so I would know how it tasted.)

Cake:
8 Tbl butter, softened
3 lbs apples/peel, core, chop
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
4 Tbl oil
4 eggs
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
Icing:
1 cup shortening (or butter)
1/2 tsp maple flavoring
1/2 tsp butter flavoring
7-8 tsp water
4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbl meringue powder
pinch of salt

  • Heat oven to 350* Grease 2 8-inch round pans with butter. Place wax paper in the bottom and grease the wax paper too.
  • Put the apples in a food processor. 
  • Put 4 Tbl butter in skillet over Medium. When melted, add apples and brown sugar. Cook until soft and mostly dry. Let cool for a few minutes, then transfer to blender and puree. 
  • Add 4 Tbl butter, sugar, and oil and pulse til combined. Add eggs one at a time.
  • Combine flours and other dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the flour mixture to the apples. Add the milk. Process until it just evens out.
  • Pour into pans and bake til middle is set, about 45 minutes. 
  • Cool slightly and take out of pan to cool completely.

  • For the icing: Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium until all is combined. Blend until creamy. (makes about 2-1/2 cups). To make thin consistency (for icing cake and putting between layers)Add 5 tsp water and gel coloring.
  • For decorations: make another batch of icing in medium consistency. Add all ingredients until smooth, then add in 2-1/2 tsp water and gel color. Use this to pipe on decorations
linked up to 





3 comments:

  1. Your cake it beautiful! And sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nursery! I feel your pain. I gave up volunteering in there when my kids grew too old to be in there. I love kids, but I don't love working in the nursery at church! I figure there are plenty who actually want to work in there, so let them have all the fun.

    :)
    ButterYum
    PS - your cake is exquisite. Truly a work of art. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It