These are pretty much my favorite cookies. Ever.
3/4 cup shortening mixed with butter (about half and half)
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
- Mix shortening/butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until creamy.
- Sift and stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Chill dough for at least an hour.
- Roll to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut as desired.
- Bake 7-10 minutes @ 350* til the edges barely turn.
- Cool completely
- For the icing: Put about 1/4 bag of powdered sugar in a bowl. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla, then a small amount of water til it's the right consistency. If you want several colors, separate icing into individual bowls now. Add food coloring one drop at a time.