Because Christmas is coming up, we always have egg nog in the house. It's just not Christmas without it! For this mornings waffles, I thought I'd see what egg nog did to waffle batter. Besides adding a delicious, Christmasy (I'm sure that is a word) taste, it made the waffles super fluffy.
1-3/4 c flour (take out 3-1/2Tbl if using whole wheat)
1 Tbl baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
2 c egg nog
1/2 c canola oil (I use 3 Tbl flax seed + 7 Tbl oil)
2 egg whites
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolk slightly. Add in egg nog and oil.
- Add egg yolks mixture to flour mixture all at once.
- Stir until just combined, but still slightly lumpy.
- Beat/Whisk egg whites till stiff peaks form. I do this in the Kitchen-Aid while I'm combining all the other stuff.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter, leaving a few fluffs of egg white. Do not over mix.
- Pour onto waffle iron according to your manufacturers directions. For me, it's 1/2 cup and this recipe makes 9 waffles.
Linked up to