For this meatfree post, I'm sharing a new pizza crust recipe. I really, really love my beer batter pizza dough, but sometimes I can't make it to Trader Joe's to get the beer I like to use for it. I found this recipe to use those times. I wasn't expecting a lot really. The recipe is so plain, but as we were eating it, there is just something special about it. I think it's light and complex. The longer you let it rise, the more complex the flavors become. I will definitely be making it again. I also must explain, the picture has pepperoni in it. I know it's a meatfree post. But we really have made garden vegetable pizza and lots of other meatfree toppings since this first one, but for some reason I don't have a picture of those. This recipe is really for the dough, top with your choice of toppings.
from one of my new favorite cookbooks: Mark Bittman's
The Food Matters Cookbook: 500 Revolutionary Recipes for Better Living
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
2 Tbl olive oil
- Combine dry ingredients. Stir in 1-1/2 cups water, The dough should be sticky and wet.
- Place in a warm spot, and set 6-12 hours. the longer the better.
- Heat oven to 500*. Oil a baking sheet and spread on the dough.
- Drizzle with 2 Tbl olive oil and add pizza toppings.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is golden.