Thursday, January 19, 2012

Brownie Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

     Last weekend I made cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. For some reason, we had way too much frosting. You can't let that stuff just go to waste...so I made cupcakes...brownie cupcakes. It was just that kind of day. I mentioned to J, when we were eating our cinnamon rolls, that I would probably use that frosting (recipe) for my daughter's birthday party, so I thought it would be a great time to see if it piped on well. It did great. It also complimented the brownie cupcakes well too. They tasted a little like ding dongs...but much healthier than ding dongs. I think every chocolate cake with white icing tastes a little like that though. The only change I would make the next time is to fill the cupcakes with something (like more frosting or strawberry jam or peanut butter or nutella or...)because cupcakes are always better with a filling. I just wasn't thinking straight since I was talking on the phone to a high school friend while I was frosting my cupcakes.

4 Tbl butter, softened
1/2 cup prunes
1 cup pureed sweet potatoes
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

  • Heat oven to 350*. Line muffin tin with cups. 
  • Put prunes in water and boil for about 15 minutes or until soft. 
  • Combine flour and dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  • When prunes are ready, drain and add 4 oz of the chocolate. Stir until chocolate begins to melt. Transfer to food processor and puree. Add the butter, sweet potatoes, eggs, and vanilla. Process until smooth and creamy. 
  • Add prune mix to the flour and just combine.
  • Pour into muffin cups and bake until set...about 20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 oz cream cheese
1 stick (4oz) butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp lemon juice
2-3 c powdered sugar

  • Add cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and lemon juice to mixing bowl. Blend until smooth and combined. Add powdered sugar 1/2 c at a time, blending in between until well mixed and desired consistency. I used a little more than 2 cups. 
  • Frost cupcakes. Store in refrigerator.

Linked up to
Sweet Tooth Friday
Sweets for Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It