Monday, February 13, 2012

Millionaire's Shortbread

     For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned to an English blog. I was a little discouraged at first because of the differences in measurements. Grams do not convert exactly to cups or tablespoons, so there is a lot of guesswork and rounding. I found a website that made this "translation" relatively easy. Knowing I could make any recipe on the site, I was on a mission to find the perfect one.
     With a name like "Millionaire's Shortbread:" this recipe instantly intrigued me. When I read the description on Corina's blog Searching for Spice, I knew I would love it. Really, how could you go wrong with shortbread topped with caramel and dark chocolate? Apparently these bars are very popular in the UK and in Canada, but not so much in the States. This should change, because they are delicious! This was my other contribution to the Superbowl party we attended last weekend. They were a huge hit, and several people asked me for the recipe.
     After reading Corina's description and intro to the recipe, I opted to go the less sugary route by making Dulce de Leche basically the way the recipe on the side of the can of sweetened condensed milk details. I was so glad I did. The bars came out with just the right amount of sweetness, and of course I added a little saltiness because of my recent obsession with salted caramel.

2/3 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/3 cup flour
(egg?)
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
4-5 oz dark chocolate (I used squares from a dark chocolate candy bar)

  • Preheat the oven to 350*
  • Line an 8x8 baking dish with foil leaving a little overhang. Butter or spray the foiled pan.
  • Cream the sugar and butter together for the base layer. Then add the flour and mix until it forms a dough. I had to add an egg too. The dough was very crumbly (before egg), which is probably due to the translation from English to American measurements not being exact. Egg helps hold things together, so I thought it was a good choice.
  • Put the dough into the prepared dish, and press down so it covers the bottom. 
  • Bake 20-25 minutes until a very light golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
  • Cool completely.
  • To make the caramel: Pour sweetened condensed milk into a medium microwave safe bowl. Cook on medium (50% power) for 4 minutes, stirring well halfway through. Continue to cook on medium-low (30-40% power) for another 12-15 minutes until the milk has turned into thick, golden, caramel. Stir every couple of minutes.
  • Stir in the salt and vanilla.
  • Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread and spread evenly.
  • Let the caramel firm up for about an hour in the refrigerator (or less in the freezer)
  • For the chocolate layer: Melt some chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water (or in a double boiler---which I don't own). 
  • Pour onto the caramel and spread evenly.
  • Sprinkle with more sea salt or kosher salt.
  • Put in the refrigerator to set. 
  • Cut into small squares to serve.
submitted to

18 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I love that you added that salt, I am totally into salted caramel anyhting right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those bars look too good to eat - I imagine they didn't last very long at the superbowl party.

    Anything with dark chocolate has great potential in our home. I should pass this recipe on to my baker.

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked these - and managed to work out the measurements. I often have the same problem when making recipes from US sites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my those look delicious ! What a great choice for SRC. If you have a chance take a look at my no knead bread recipe for this month! #12 in the list.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bars just look perfect. Oh, my, what a great concoction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE salted caramel! These look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember eating these when I lived in London, totally delish! Great SRC choice.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the SRC, too. Fun getting to see everyone's creations! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been eyeing these for some time, swearing I need to make them. I have as serious addiction to caramel. You did a great job, and I'd love to have a taste. The salt addition is a great contrast to the chocolate, combined with the chewiness of the caramel and the buttery shortbread. Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried making something similar to this for christmas but my caramel never set up. Any tips on how to make it better? By the way, I love the idea behind your blog. I'm all about a budget!

    I’m stopping by from SRC but I’d love if you check our my new site seasonalpotluck.com February is oranges month so if you have any orange recipes, we’d love if you’d link up! http://bit.ly/zDoNfx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betsy---I wonder if it wasn't cooked long enough. There wasn't a lot of change in texture or color in mine until the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, mmm. These look so darn yummy! Fantastic recipe selection. If you haven't had a chance, please stop by and visit my SRC post for Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies

    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2012/02/giant-chocolate-toffee-cookies.html

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love millionaire's shortbread. It's so easy, and so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pinning these! Love the salt addition on top. I'm all over everything salted caramel :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks SO good. I could eat a whole tray!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my heck! Yoou're right, heavenly combination of goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ate way too many of those when living in Scotland for 7 years :) There's a variation of this, called Millinonaire's shortcake (or caramel shortcake) - instead of shortcake base, there's a crushed biscuit/Digestive base (like you'd use for cheesecake). Just as delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That does sound great:)

      Delete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It