Friday, April 20, 2012

Candy Bar Bread

     I know, I said last week I was trying to reduce my sugar consumption because of the close call in the glucose testing. I have had this recipe in my "to post" file since the beginning of the year. It's about time I got around to getting the post finished. It could be useful for you now if you have a lot of leftover Easter candy!
     We got a bag of mini candy bars from IKEA during an annual New Year's trip. I think it was chocolate butterscotch or something, but this recipe could be for any kind of candy bar. The candy was pretty good, but we just don't eat little candy bars that often, so it was going to take us forever to get through that bag. When I was looking through my box of old family recipes, I came across a really simple recipe for nut bread. I don't think I would like nuts in a bread, so I basically used that recipe and replaced the nuts for candy bar bits. The result was so good, especially when still warm (or reheated!). The bread was rich and flavorful and took care of the chocolate craving that I was having.
     Some ways to make this a little more healthy could be to replace the egg with one tablespoon of milled flaxseed and three tablespoons of water. You could also replace half of the sugar for honey which doesn't affect your blood sugar quite as much.  Both of these options may alter the texture or density of the bread, so you could play around with it. Another option would be to use whole wheat flour instead of white. I do this in almost every recipe that I make. A basic rule of thumb is to take out 2 Tbl per 1 cup flour called for. I try to put the conversions in the recipe so you can see exactly how much whole wheat flour to use.

2-1/2 cups flour (take out 3 Tbl if using whole wheat)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup chopped candy bar of choice

  • Sift flour, measure and resift twice with baking powder, salt, and sugar.
  • Combine well beaten egg and milk. Add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring quickly until flour is dampened but not smooth.
  • Quickly fold in candy bar bits to distribute.
  • Turn into buttered loaf pan and bake @ 300* for about 20 minutes then increase heat to 375* for 25-30 minutes longer.

2 comments:

  1. I have type 2 diabetes and ate sugar with endless abandon, it is not fun at all, I must walk like I was walking to hell each and everyday I have to eat almost only veggies, salmon, some fruits and white bread, and most spaghetti is out and most really tasty foods, I have lost an enormous amount of weight but still have to take the medicines, each and everyday, I would refrain from sugar at all, unless you want to end up with type 2 diabetes, I have to have testing of my blood all the time for my meds. and I feel better now I watch every thing I eat which mainly is veggies, fresh, steamed and salmon and all types of fish to keep the blood glucose in check, I don't even eat a dessert on my birthday it is just not worth it, I do drink so much green tea I am getting green with it so to speak, take care with damn sugar it sneaks up on a person and one can become ill, it is an epidemic in our country like nothing I have seen so far..maybe measles and whopping cough in this state but type 2 diabetes is rampant and the complications from it can really kill a person, take a word of caution from someone who know of where she speaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really trying to be careful. I can't believe there is sugar in everything you buy!My grandpa also has diabetes and my dad is being tested right now, so I know I have to make some major changes.

      Delete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It