Thursday, April 5, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

     I love Rachael Ray. I have never tried a recipe of hers that was a disappointment. This one is no different. First of all, I love a good Philly cheesesteak. It's one of those things I don't get that often, so it tastes so good when I do. Secondly, I made homemade buns for these sloppy joes which made them even better.
     This isn't a traditional cheesesteak, as you probably could have guessed from the recipe name. It's a sloppy joe, which means it calls for ground meat. The original recipe called for ground sirloin, but in the interest of my budget I used lean ground turkey instead. Even still, this really did taste like a cheesesteak. Jonathon described the sandwich as having the flavor of a cheesesteak with the texture of a sloppy joe with a roll that really brought it all together. I'm not sure what kind of roll an authentic cheesesteak uses, but these were pretty good.

dinner rolls
1 Tbl olive oil
1 lb ground meat of choice
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup steak sauce
1 cup beef stock
salt and pepper
1 Tbl butter
1 Tbl flour
1 cup milk
1 cup provolone cheese

  • Brown meat. Add in onion and peppers and cook for another three of four minutes until veggies are soft.
  • Stir in steak sauce and beef stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble and cook 2 more minutes.
  • Split open rolls and toast under the broiler...Watch closely, it happens fast!
  • For the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add in flour and cook for about a minute. Whisk in milk, bubble up and let thicken (about 2 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in cheese.
  • To serve, place a scoop of meat onto bottom of roll. Top with cheese sauce and the other part of the bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It