Monday, April 16, 2012

White Chocolate Berry Meringue Bars

     For this months Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned to the blog eggs, cream, and honey. After looking around, I found this White Chocolate Brownies with Raspberries recipe. Seriously, how could I pick something else? White chocolate, brownies, and raspberries seem like ingredients that can't go wrong...and I was not disappointed. You'll see in a minute, why I decided to change the name of this recipe.
     After reading through the post, I discovered that Heather had been part of a group called Tuesdays with Dorie. I've seen other bloggers that were part of this group, so I knew the recipe would be terrific. I believe the perfect party cake is a Dorie recipe, and it's one of my favorites! Then, I found that several people who had posted this recipe had some trouble with the meringue preventing the "brownies" from getting done. I followed their advice and baked my bars then added the meringue at the end, which solved that problem.
     As I mentioned above, I decided to change the name of these brownies to meringue bars because it seemed more fitting. Sorry, Dorie. While they do include chocolate, which is essential to a brownie, these were a little more cake-like and the meringue topping should not go unmentioned. It was so good. Seriously, I  ate almost the whole pan by myself. These were not the kind of bars that you can throw together quickly (like brownies). These took a little more time and patience...I had to make the meringue twice (stupid yolk sneaking in!) They were well worth the effort, and they are sure to impress any guests who may be helping you eat them. If you wish to forgo the meringue and just make the bars naked, that would be great too. I know because I tasted a little corner before adding the meringue! I just couldn't wait.
    I made a few changes to the original recipe. First, I used frozen mixed berries instead of fresh raspberries. There are no berries in season in Indiana right now, so even if I could afford to buy them they wouldn't taste very good. I sprinkled them with flour so they wouldn't sink into the batter. Next, as I mentioned above, I baked the bars before adding the meringue so the middle wouldn't be gooey. Finally, I lined the whole pan with parchment paper, so I wouldn't damage the delicate meringue topping by flipping onto a platter. The parchment paper allowed me to just lift the bars from the pan and place on a platter.

2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup ground almonds (I used a coffee grinder)
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
4oz white chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tsp grated orange zest
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup frozen mixed berries (sprinkled with flour)
Meringue
3 egg whites, room temp
pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
  • Center a rack in the oven, and preheat to 325*
  • Line a 9x3 pan with parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper.
  • Whisk the flour, ground almonds, and salt together. Set aside.
  • Set a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water (or use double boiler). Add the butter and chocolate and melt, stirring frequently.
  • Rub the sugar and orange zest together. Add eggs and beat at Medium-high speed for about 3 minutes until foamy and pale. Beat in vanilla 
  • Reduce speed to low and blend in chocolate mixture. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until barely combined.
  • Pour batter into prepared pan. 
  • Sprinkle the berries on top of the batter. 
  • Bake about 25-30 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
  • Cool for about 20 minutes
  • Whisk egg whites and salt on medium speed until foamy and opaque. Increase spead and add sugar slowly. Whip until the whites form firm but still glossy peaks.
  • Gently spread the meringue over the slightly cooled bars and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until browned and crackly.
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar
  • Once cooled, you can wrap in plastic and put in an airtight container to keep overnight. If you make them without the meringue you can store them for up to three days.

20 comments:

  1. oh yum! what a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The berry in the meringue sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meringue can be a challenge to work with. Looks like you succeeded. I know what you mean about berries not being in season, but frozen work just as well. (Found you via the Secret Recipe Club.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I might just make these for a picnic this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make these-NOW! I love white chocolate and berries combined, they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, what fabulous Bar's, we would just love these! It is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post has yum written all over it. Thanks for the tips--I'll definitely be making these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good! great with some coffee or tea i bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll admit I ate them for breakfast. They were wonderful with tea!

      Delete
  9. These look gorgeous! (and delicious) I'm stopping by from SRC but be sure to stop by Seasonal Potluck this month. We have peas AND rhubarb link parties open! We'd love if you'd share any recipes you may have http://bit.ly/H9XJGB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choice you made. These look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great! And they certainly were good. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These bars sure look like a fun treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delish! I love meringue bars. I'd love it if you'd join my linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime! (The linky runs through Friday each week.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Robin! I found your blog through Something Swanky. These bars look scrumptious - love the meringue idea! And looks like I am your 100th follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! 100! It seems like I was at 99 forever :) These bars were so light and refreshing!

      Delete
  15. This looks fantastic! Thanks for stopping by the blog today! I could eat a whole pan of these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look really good! Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you there next week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these look amazing! I'm really hungry right now

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my Gosh! The bars look out of this world!!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It