formerly

formerly Penny Pinching Provisions

Monday, May 7, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese

     When we got our assignments for May's Crazy Cooking Challenge, I knew exactly what recipe I wanted to use. I had seen it almost a year ago and never made it. The recipe had just been sitting in the back of my mind, waiting for the perfect opportunity.
     You may have seen my post from last summer about bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. They are pretty much my favorite tailgate, cookout, or Superbowl snack. When I saw Keith's recipe for a jalapeno popper grilled cheese, I knew the only thing that could make it better would be to add bacon to replicate the flavors in my favorite snack. I think, Keith from Closet Cooking, might agree too. He has several recipes on his blog that are based off a jalapeno popper.
    Basically I followed Keith's recipe as written, except for adding in the bacon. I agree that biting into a raw jalapeno would have created a texture issue with me, so I'm glad he thought of roasting them first. As expected, I loved this grilled cheese. My husband has requested it twice since I made it toward the beginning of April! It took longer than a regular grilled cheese, but it was worth every minute of it...and burning my tongue on the Jalapeno juice that was on my finger from slicing them.
     Myfitnesspal tells me this recipe might be one for occasional use only. Don't read the rest of this paragraph if you would rather not know...759 Calories, 56 carbs, 48 fat, 27 protein, 6 sugar, 3 fiber (oh my!) In case you're curious, if we would have used our regular wheat bread, we would have only saved 80 calories!

What I posted:
1 year  ago: Corn Starch Ice Cream
2 years ago: Breakfast Pizza Pie


makes 1 sandwich (so adjust according to how many people you're serving)

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and halved
2 slices sourdough bread
1 Tbl butter, softened
2 Tbl cream cheese, softened (use the real stuff so it will melt!)
2 slices bacon, cooked
1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
1 Tbl crushed tortilla chips
  • Place peppers on baking sheet, facing down. Broil until outer skin is blackened, about 10 minutes.
  • Place in sealed container until cool enough to handle.
  • Remove the skins by pinching them off.
  • Butter the outside of each slice of bread, and spread cream cheese on the inside. Sprinkle half the cheddar on top of the cream cheese of one slice. Top with jalapenos, bacon, crumbled tortillas, the rest of the cheese, and the other slice of bread.
  • Heat a griddle or non-stick pan to medium.
  • Add the sandwich and grill until cheese is melted and bread is golden, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty picture! I love jalapeno poppers and I would totally love to eat it as a sandwich!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to ban jalapeno popper from my home- I would eat them all lol (#67)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! I made a jalapeno popper grilled cheese for the Challenge, too. Delicious, isn't it??
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground CCC #48

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, the addition of the bacon and the chips justs puts this over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, this looks so yummy!! I love that you put chips on it!! I always save the last chip bits at the bottom of the bag to add to my cold sandwiches and now I'll be adding them to my grilled cheeses too!! Thanks for coming by and checking out my Jalapeno Popper GC - great minds DO think a like!! #33

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Your pictures make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combination for a Grilled Cheese, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could definitely go for one of those right about now! I like the addition of the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the chips in it. Great idea!

    Jen #40

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic job right here.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It