Friday, May 4, 2012

Honey Blueberry Muffins

     I just got a new half -gallon of our favorite Wildflower Honey. The honey farm is way off the beaten path, but it really does taste so much better. You could spend an afternoon there if you wanted to take tours and things. We just like to go in the store and taste the different honeys and honey products like peanut butter and flavored whipped honey (cinnamon is our favorite.) They do sell this honey at the farmer's market nearby in the summer and at the State Fair in the fall, but if you run out before then you can go to the honey farm itself or order online (and pay shipping). I just hate to pay shipping.
     When we stopped by this time, I picked up a little cookbook that has honey recipes. I thought this would be useful since I'm trying to cut back on the amount of refined sugars we eat. There are so many recipes I want to try. I chose blueberry muffins first because we love muffins, and they are great quick and easy breakfast. While these didn't completely cut out refined sugars, far less than normal was used in this recipe when compared to others. These were very good and moist muffins. I made them last night, and they were just as good this morning when we had them for breakfast. I will definitely make these again!
     Myfitness pal says the nutritional information per muffin is 138 calories, 22 carbs, 5 fats, 3 proteins, 11 sugars, and 1g fiber. This is a lower calorie, lower sugar choice than the previously posted, but delicious Peanut Butter & Banana muffins. Keeping track of this nutritional information is really eye-opening! Things that seem relatively healthy pack a lot more calories than you think. I don't want to be a crazy calorie counter, but I do want to reduce the amount of sugars I eat. I have a feeling the two are going to go together. That being said, both of these muffins (blueberry and peanut butter banana) are completely made from scratch and would be considered  "real food." They have to be healthier and more delicious than store-bought chemical laden muffins!
Makes 12 muffins
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 cups flour (take out 3 Tbl for whole wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1 cup blueberries (I used wild frozen since they are out of season)

  • Cream butter, sugar, and honey. Add egg.
  • Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture along with the milk.
  • Fold in berries.
  • Bake at 375* for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.



other sweet breakfast muffins we have made include:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It