Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Strawberry White Chocolate Scones

     The u-pick berry farm just opened up with strawberries. We took Grandma, and ended up with about eight pounds of strawberries. I think last year, we only had about four pounds! We may have gone a little overboard. If you are wondering how we will keep all these fresh, I saw a great tip on Pinterest. I soaked all the berries in a 1:10 vinegar/water bath, then let them all dry before putting them in a bowl in the refrigerator.

  We've already started using them for snacking, this recipe, and a top secret recipe to be revealed later. I'm sure there will be more to come. If you can't wait until the new recipe posts come out, check out some from previous years. Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Muffins (part of the inspiration for these scones), Strawberry MuffinsFrozen Yogurt Pops, Strawberry Shortcake, Freezer Jam (with honey!), Crepes, Summer Salad, Strawberry Pie, Strawberry Dessert, and Baked Oatmeal.
     I've been wanting to try scones for some time now. I've been a little afraid they would turn out to be dry, and there is nothing worse than a dry scone! Finally, I found a recipe and got up the nerve (and energy) to give it a shot. As I mentioned above, I was inspired by my favorite muffin ever, the Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Muffin. When I saw this strawberry chocolate chip scone recipe, I knew just how I would make a couple of changes. One change was to use white whole wheat flour, but I also switched out the chocolate chips for white chocolate chips. As I looked all around for scone recipes, I noticed some called for a LOT of sugar! In the end I was deciding between this recipe and another. Even though this one uses refined sugar, it only calls for two tablespoons. The other recipe I found used maple syrup for the sweetener, but needed a third of a cup.
     These scones were very flavorful and moist. I'm so glad I finally got around to trying scones. I'm not afraid anymore, so you might see some more recipes in different flavors.

1-1/2 cups flour (take out 3 Tbl if using whole wheat flour)
2 Tbl brown sugar
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbl butter
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup strawberries, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cups chopped almonds (omit if desired)

  • Preheat oven to 425* and cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Sift together all dry ingredients. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbles.
  • Whisk egg yolk and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir until dough pulls together. Don't over mix.
  • Fold in chips and strawberries. 
  • Put on floured surface and pat into a large square. Cut into four squares, then cut those smaller squares into triangles to end up with eight scones.
  • Place on baking sheet and bake 12-15 minutes.
  • Store in resealable bag. Reheat to serve.

Nutritional info/scone: 
283 calories, 31 carbs, 17 fats, 5 proteins, 12 sugars, 4 fiber
If you omit the white chocolate chips, the sugar content is greatly reduced:
227 calories, 23 carbs, 13 fats, 5 proteins, 4.5 sugars, 4 fiber

Previously posted:
One year ago: Chocolate Cinnamon Muffins with Banana
Two years ago: Oprah Biscuits


Linked up to:
 Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Sweet Temptations, Sweet Treats Thursday, Crazy Sweet Tuesday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweets for Saturday

6 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. Love scones and white chocolate and strawberries would be delicious.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. That's the perfect mixture. I love me some strawberries, white chocolate, and scones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look yummy, I love scones and strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely! I recently tried making scones for the first time...http://inherchucks.com/2012/04/20/strawberry-scones/...they turned out great! Thanks for sharing. I found you through Sweets for a Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really good! I really like the combination of the strawberries with the white chocolate. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you at the next party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I just made scones the other day beause my toddler is such a fan of them. :)

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog and would love for you to stop by if you have time. Thanks!!
    http://www.elsacooks.com/2012/05/product-review-giveaway-cascal.html

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It