Monday, May 14, 2012

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes

     Today is reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club. This month I was assigned to Wendy's blog La Phemme Phoodie. Besides mostly gluten-free and egg-free recipes, she discusses restaurants and gives information about all things related to food. I really enjoyed digging in to her blog this month.
     Though most of the recipes on her blog are gluten-free, there are several that aren't. I didn't really look into it, but I think you could substitute the flour of your choice without many changes to the recipe. Once I got to the point where I needed to decide what to make, it was a tough decision. I found this peach pie, peanut butter brownies, a simple stir fry, and the pancakes that I ultimately decided on.
     If you have been following me for a while, you know I'm a sucker for breakfast foods...especially those of the pancake or waffle variety. Actually, one of those appears weekly on our breakfast table. To make this fit in with my new focus on eating "real food," I altered the recipe slightly by using whole wheat flour and honey instead of refined sugar. The result was a light and fluffy pancake that was not overly sweet. Our previous blueberry pancake recipe was very good, but so rich...so rich, I've never even put it on the blog! This was just the right amount of sweet. The blueberries were just perfect (I used Wyman's frozen wild blueberries), but you could use any type of berry you wanted.
    In case your curious, here is the nutritional information for each pancake (1/3 cup scoop of batter each): 152 calories, 24 carbs, 6 fats, 4 proteins, 8 sugars, 3 fiber. I still haven't found a guideline about how many of each category you should eat at a given meal, but this seems to be pretty consistent with other breads...with more fiber because of the whole wheat flour. The sugars came not only from the honey, but also from the milk and blueberries too. Ideally, I've heard you should eat carbs and sugar with protein so that it doesn't affect your blood sugar levels as much. As you can see, I didn't have any turkey bacon today!

Previous posts from
1 year ago: Choco-Scotch Pull Apart Bread
1 years ago: Taco Casserole
Add caption
Makes about 12 (1/3 cup) pancakes
1-3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup honey (I like Wildflower honey the best)
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

  • In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  • In another bowl, beat eggs, honey, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter. 
  • Combine the wet and dry ingredients into a lumpy batter. Do not over mix!
  • Heat griddle, and spoon 1/3 cup batter onto it. Sprinkle the top of each one with about 1 tablespoon of blueberries. 
  • Cook 2-3 minutes per side

12 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for breakfast food too. One of my favorite things is to have breakfast food for dinner. Such a treat. So glad you enjoyed the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you - breakfast is awesome! These look so good. Nice and fluffy!

    Thanks so much for your yummy recipe of Mongolian Chicken. It is going in our regular dinner rotation because we all loved it (there was even a little skirmish over the leftovers - hahaha!) I can't wait to make more good things from your blog. It is wonderful and you can tell you have put a lot of effort and yourself into it. It just shines through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, lovely pancakes, with fI love anything with fruits.., lovely post for SRC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love a big plate of pancakes, especially blueberry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your reinvented blog and this recipe. totally awesome. yum pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I'm always looking for new recipes for homemade pancakes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooooooove blueberry pancakes! They are so "summery" to me! I wish I had a big stack right now

    be sure to check out seasonalpotluck.com May is avocado and asparagus month! http://bit.ly/JZGxpz We'd love if you'd link up any recipes you may have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look wonderful and fluffy. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely breakfast option. Have saved this to try later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robn, those Blueberry pancakes look amazing!
    Cooking with you in the SRC-B
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pancakes look perfect - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome, and perfectly refreshing for summer with the berries:)

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It