Monday, June 11, 2012

Banana Split Bites

     Each month, I anxiously await my Secret Recipe Club assignment. This month was no different. I was assigned to Judee's blog Gluten Free A-Z. I'll admit, I was a little intimidated since we do not focus on gluten free, but as I searched through the recipes I found many that we would be interested in trying...and many recipes that could be easily adapted to a non-gluten free recipe. Here are some examples of what Judee has to offer: Mini Caprese Appetizers, Cajun Sweet Potato Fries, and Frozen Watermelon Smoothie,
     Ultimately, I decided on Banana Split Bites. A Memorial Day cookout seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out a tasty, mostly frozen treat. In reality, it was a pretty toasty day with a high of 91* and a terribly high heat index I'm sure. Besides looking a little melty, these delicious bites were a hit. They really did taste like a tiny banana split. I even read on the Internet that some people hollow out their banana and stuff with ice cream. That would have been an even bigger mess, I think!
     Lessons learned from this recipe: It would be best to buy the bananas the day you want to make them so you can make sure they are under-ripe (green!). A firm banana would be much easier to work with. I bought my bananas the day before, but it has been so hot they quickly became ripe and soft. Secondly, I dipped my bananas in the chocolate and sprinkles, then put them in a deep freeze until we were ready to eat them. This nearly froze the banana and allowed the chocolate to set. It also prevented the banana from getting even more squishy in the heat.
Add caption
3-4 green bananas
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 can whipped cream
Sprinkles (or nuts)
cherries
  • Cut each banana into thirds.
  • Melt chocolate chips in a double broiler.
  • Dip one end of each banana piece into the melted chocolate and then in sprinkles. Place on waxed paper. 
  • Place in deep freeze or freezer until you are ready to serve.
  • When ready, squirt each banana bite with whipped cream and top with a cherry.
Nutritional Information (per banana bite)
145 calories, 23 carbs, 7 fats, 1 protein, 17 sugars, 2 fiber

Previously posted:
One year ago: Strawberry Shortcake





14 comments:

  1. what an interesting recipe, I could try this out on my kids (they are teenagers!), they are not a big fan of Bananas, but I think they will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for some fun healthier summer desserts for my family. These look perfect and so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and adorable little treat.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Candied Popcorn.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea. Kids would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesomely yummy~! Pinned for later recreation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute! I will try those with my kids. Happy SRC reveal day to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute!!! not to mention...perfect for summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these on pinterest...so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found some things of interest on my blog. I love the little banana split bites too . ( I did try to fill with ice cream once- trust me you don't want to go there.. big big mess!! I love your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So easy to put together, but they look so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute!
    Be sure to stop by Seasonal Potluck this month to link up your pineapple or strawberry recipes http://bit.ly/KeYUr2 Or surf the collection to find some recipe inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The desserts are picture perfect.

    I think the trick to understanding gluten-free is realizing that so many foods are gluten free naturally - it's not all about finding crazy substitutes. I feel the same way about vegetarian dishes. What must one do to soy to make it taste like beef? Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! It would be an easy snack for my kids at school to make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so adorable! I might need to make these for 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It