Thursday, June 7, 2012

Strawberry Lassi

     This month's Crazy Cooking Challenge was to make a fruit smoothie or shake. The email announcing the challenge came the day after we went to the strawberry patch, so I knew which fruit I would be using! As I started thinking if I had seen a strawberry drink, I remembered Bo's Strawberry Lassi he posted a couple of months ago. I think it stuck out in my mind because I love Indian food, but our local Indian restaurants don't offer a strawberry lassi along with the typical mango lassi.
     I actually made this drink twice before running out of strawberries. The second time, we had a big group of friends over and they all loved it! The drink is cool and refreshing, especially on a hot summer (or late spring) night, but I really think it's special because of the secret ingredients: cinnamon and nutmeg. Bo's recipe actually called for cardamom, but when I saw the price of cardamom I researched substitutes and came up with a 50/50 mix of cinnamon and nutmeg. I really need to get to a spice store that allows you to buy only the amount of spice you need for these spices that are a little more pricey!
1 lb fresh strawberries, trimmed and halved
1/2 cup sugar or honey
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 cups plain yogurt
1 cup ice cubes

  • Puree strawberries, sugar, and spices until smooth. 
  • Add yogurt and ice and blend until smooth.
My fitness pal says the nutritional information for these 4 servings is:
245 calories, 49 carbs, 4 fats, 6 proteins, 39 sugars, 5 fibers
Keep in mind: the strawberries and yogurt have naturally occurring sugars in them which make up almost 40% of the sugar in the final product

Previously posted
Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of "seasoning" your smoothie! That sounds like it'd compliment the strawberries perfectly and make it incredibly delicious :)

    I stumbled, pinned, tweeted, and FB'd your entry!

    <3
    #26

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your smoothie. I also like the idea of putting the spices in smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy!! I love mango lassis and I love strawberries, so it sounds like a match made in heaven. If I'd come across this recipe yesterday, I could have made it because I had a lot of homemade yogurt, strawberries, and local honey. I even have cardamom. Today though all those things are gone because we used 'em up (well, other than the cardamom- that's still here). Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good lassi and yours looks wonderful, can't wait to give it a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: Mango Melon Banana & Chia Smoothie.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really spiced up this smoothie and you are Foodista's Drink Blog of the Day!Hope you can send me an email so I can send you the link for your badge. - alisa[at]foodista[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you tried this. I love it and make it pretty often. Lately I've been adding a splash of rose water to it, if you can get your hands on some try it and the rose water is cheap only like $2 a bottle, it just gives it a floral taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try and find some. I've seen it in a lot of recipes, but I've never had it! Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Delicious looking!Sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So yummy! perfect for the hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It