Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

     We came home from the hospital late on a Wednesday night. The next morning, my mom and I were watching the Today Show when we saw these brownies. Do you ever see a recipe that you just can't forget about? It just draws you in until you make it. That is how I felt about these brownies. It probably didn't help that I have all these post-pregnancy hormones raging through my body. I needed chocolate. Chocolate with peanut butter cups, to be exact.
     A few days later, I couldn't stand it any more. I had to make those brownies. I sent J to the store to get peanut butter cups. This isn't something we normally keep around. He wasn't complaining...until later when he found you had to let the brownies set in the fridge overnight! We found it was worth the wait. These brownies were so rich and fudge-y (I guess that isn't a word...). They were much thicker (or taller?) than I expected, and I probably should have only made a half recipe. We ended up taking some to a friends house so they could enjoy these delicious brownies too. What a perfect addition to your July 4th celebration!

Adapted from Connie Weis
11 oz mini peanut butter cups
12 oz butter
4-1/2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (or 3/4 cup + 1-1/2 Tbl unsweetened cocoa plus 4-1/2 Tbl oil)
9 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
6 eggs, room temp
10-1/2 oz sugar
12 oz brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 flour (Take out 3 Tbl if using whole wheat flour)
3/4 tsp baking powder

  • Unwrap peanut butter cups and set aside.
  • Cut up butter. In heavy saucepan, melt butter over lowest setting.
  • Meanwhile, chop unsweetened chocolate into small pieces and add to melting butter. Add chocolate chips too. Using a whisk, stir occasionally. When melted and smooth, turn off heat.
  • Set rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350*.
  • Grease 9x13 pan. Line with foil and grease foil too.
  • Whisk eggs by hand in mixing bowl.
  • Combine sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Add to eggs and stir until just combined.
  • Gradually whisk in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
  • Combine flour and baking powder. Sift and add to batter.
  • Pour batter into prepared pan.
  • Push peanut butter cups into the top of batter. Don't put any within half inch of the sides of the pan.
  • Bake for 34 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for 7-8 hours or overnight.
  • To remove slab, run a thin knife between the foil and the pan, then remove chilled brownie slab from pan. Peel off and discard foil and cut brownies into bars.....The foil removal didn't work for me. We just cut them in the pan and scooped them out. I guess my foil wasn't heavy duty enough!
linked up to 


2 comments:

  1. You had me at peanut butter cups!!!! Brownies with them is even better:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on a diet right now, but as soon as I'm off I'm making these!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It