Sunday, September 9, 2012

DIY Preschool Recap Sept 3-7, 2012

     I may have mentioned before that we do preschool at home. This was a decision we made to save money and to be able to allow Big E to take ballet lessons. I was a teacher before I "retired" to raise our kiddo's so it made sense to us. After some encouragement, I thought I'd share what we do each week for our preschool time.
     Before I get started on this week, I'd like to give you the goals that I have. I don't want school to be a chore for me or for E. I want her to continue to love learning. I also don't want to force it. If we aren't feeling it one day, we'll skip. If something isn't working, I'll change it. If I have an idea, I'll go with it. This is definitely an "in-process" preschool that we have. It's not perfect, but it's a way for us to have some sort of routine and something for us to do together.
    I don't come up with all these ideas myself. I had a professor in college who said, "We don't need to reinvent the wheel." I have a few websites that I use for resources, and I'm always open to new ideas. I haven't found just one that really gets everything that I want. I refuse to do a bunch of worksheets. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and I'm trying to find mine.
    Each week, I plan to have a letter, number, and word of the week along with a theme and verse. E has started AWANA, so our verses will be taken from that. Last week, we worked on the letter "L", number "1" and, the word "see." E already recognizes all the letters, so we are working on letter sounds. Our theme was "Ladybugs."

Daily Activities include:
Saying verse (hopefully memorizing)
discussing life application
sing a song to go with the verse
color a verse picture
Discuss the letter, number, and sight word of the week
Read the Easy Reader

Other Activities spread throughout the week include:
Color the verse picture
Cut verse apart and put in order
L maze
L color by number sheet
Getting Ready for L practice (writing) pages
Practice writing letters (BrainQuest book)and chalkboard
practice making letter with play-doh
Read Little Buggy by Kevin O'Malley,
Read The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
Read Are You a Ladybug? by Judy Allen
Kumon cutting page
Bring "1" toy to me, eat "1" cheerio, write the number "1" (it looks like and a little "Ll")
Color by number "see"
Ladybug Puzzle
Ladybug Letter Hunt
Ladybug "L" craft based off this idea







Supplies/Books






No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It