Saturday, October 20, 2012

Apple Scones

     I have another great Fall recipe for you today. I'm inspired by my friend who makes scones as much as I make muffins. Scones seems so fancy. Maybe it's just the name. I made Strawberry White Chocolate Scones one other time. They weren't too hard to make and they were so delicious, so I don't know what has taken me so long to try again.
     These Apple Scones were inspired by a post from What's Brewing in the Kitchen. I was assigned to this blog for the Secret Recipe Club this month, and I couldn't pick just one recipe. See my post for SRC here: Pork Stir Fry with Garlic Sauce
     I made some adjustments to make the scones a little healthier (more fiber & protein, lower sugar). I added whole wheat flour, substituted some sugar for stevia, skipped peeling the apples, and added cinnamon and sugar sprinkles before baking. You may also notice, the original recipe was a stovetop recipe. If you are interested, the nutritional information (per scone) is listed just below the picture.
     Overall, the scones were easy to make. Big E helped me mix everything together and press it into a big square. She also helped brush on the milk wash and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. The scones turned out rich and hearty. They weren't dry, but they weren't necessarily moist either. Perfect with a cup of coffee, I'd say. Big E asked for them for a snack, but she kept saying, "Can I have a scotch?" Ha! Of course, she had no idea what it sounded like she was asking for.
164 calories, 23g carbs, 7g fats, 5g protein, 5g sugar, and 4g fiber

1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp stevia powder
2 Tbl sugar
4 Tbl butter, softened
1 egg
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 large apple, cored and finely diced
milk
2 Tbl sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

  • Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, stevia, and sugar
  • Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbles.
  • Combine the egg and yogurt.
  • Stir in the yogurt mixture and the apples.
  • On a flour surface, pat the dough into a half-inch thick square. Use a pizza cutter to cut into fourths, then cut each fourth in half to make 8 triangles.
  • Place triangles on a  parchment paper covered baking sheet.
  • Brush each scone with milk and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar
  • Bake @ 425 for 10-15 minutes or until golden.


1 comment:

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It