Thursday, October 25, 2012

Denim Bibs

     I hate when jeans get holes in them. I also hate when they don't fit anymore...although lately, mine aren't fitting because they are too big!
     I figured there was something I could make out of them, so I started saving unusable jeans. A thought came to me as I was sorting thought Big E's clothes. All of the bibs we used for her are disgusting. They look terrible. I would never take them into public. So, I thought that jeans would make really good bibs. They are dark and heavy so stuff wouldn't soak through to the clothes underneath. Besides, Little E needs a few things that aren't hand-me-downs anyhow.
     Basically, I took a bib we already had and made a pattern from it. If you don't have a bib laying around, you could probably find a pattern on the internet. After I had my pattern cut, I just added cute stuff and a snap. Here's the result:



  • Create a pattern for a bib by tracing an existing one, or print a pattern from the Internet. Make it slightly larger than you want the bib to be to allow for seams.
  • Cut two pieces for each bib; one denim and one backing fabric.
  • Sew ribbons, fabric, or whatever decoration you want onto the denim piece.
  • Put right sides together on both pieces and sew together. Leave a couple inches open so you can flip it  the right way to finish the bib.
  • Flip the bib the right way and pin up the hole. Sew around the edges for a finished look.
  • Add velcro or snaps for a closure.
Extra details:
The backing on each bib pictured matches the fabric on the front. I just used leftover fabric scraps and ribbon.
I used a zig-zag stitch to sew around the butterfly.
Craft stores sell iron on patches and words that would be cute on these bibs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It