Wednesday, October 17, 2012

DIY Shiny Toe Caps

     One thing I hate more than anything else is buying something that is immediately broken or ruined. This happened recently. We had to buy Big E some black dress shoes. She wore them a total of three times before the toe was broken up and peeling. Now, I realize this might not be as big of an issue if we had real leather shoes. But, spending $50 on shoes that a kid will only be able to wear for two or three months is crazy. Besides, leather gets scuffed up too.
     Well, I searched Pinterest and the rest of the Internet until I found a solution. I found a lot of tutorials on spray painting shoes, using acrylic paints, and even mod podge with glitter. To me, these solutions were temporary. These glues/paints were not made to be used on clothes, so they would probably just flake off and I'd be in the same situation again in another week. As I mentioned before, this drives me crazy! One solution I found that seemed worth trying was Freesole.
     Free sole is a urethane formula that is used to protect and repair shoes. I figured if any other shoes fall apart in a week or my soles come undone, I will be able to use it again. So, I justified it was worth the $7. That is still cheaper than buying new shoes every time they get scuffed up. Click here to see it on Amazon:Gear Aid Freesole Urethane Formula Shoe Repair 1oz

     Well, after applying, there is still plenty left in the tube for other repairs. As you can see, Big E now has shiny toes and heels just to make it look like it was supposed to be that way. Shiny Shoes are a big hit with the three year old crowd. The scuffs are covered (I did color them in with a sharpie first), and the shoes should be protected from further toe damage.
     This smell of the freesole will knock your head off. It's pretty strong, but it's easy to use. It's like a thick gel. I used a paintbrush to spread it on after the area was taped up. Don't worry about brushmarks; they disappear as it sets. I got a little on my finger, and it washed off easily with soap and water. I removed the tape after about 45 minutes, and then let it dry all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It