Monday, November 12, 2012

White Chicken Enchiladas

     For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned a blog that I have been following for some time now; Hezzi D's Books and Cooks. Since I have been following, I already knew that I love the blog. In preparing for this post, I actually made four recipes. It was hard to decide which one to write about today, so I picked the one that had the best photo...so White Chicken Enchiladas won this time...but if you are interested, the photo was the tie breaker between the enchiladas and this healthy turkey chili recipe which I made with this bacon cheddar bread. I said I made four recipes...the fourth was these pepperoni pinwheels which I made with the beer batter pizza dough on my blog. They were really good too, just not in my final two.
     The white chicken enchiladas were full of flavor and easy to make. They definitely hit the spot for the Mexican food craving we were having. I opted to use plain yogurt instead of sour cream to save a few calories and add more healthy protein, so they weren't too bad for you either. Add a salad or other veggie to the side and you have a great dinner for less than 500 calories.

Recipe makes 5 enchiladas
Nutr info/enchilada: 321 cal, 17 carb, 18g fat, 26g protein, 2g sugar,  7g fiber

White Chicken Enchiladas

by Robin
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 30
Ingredients (serves 5)
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1 t. paprika
  • 1/2 t. red pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 5 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1-3/4 c. Mexican cheese blend, shredded
  • 3 T. butter
  • 3 T. flour
  • black pepper to taste
  • 2 c. chicken broth
  • 1 c. plain yogurt
  • 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
Instructions
1. In a bowl combine the cumin, paprika, red pepper, salt, black pepper, and garlic. Cut chicken breasts up into small chunks. Sprinkle spice mixture over chicken.
2. cook chicken for 5-8 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and then shred.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
4. Mix together the chicken and 1 cup of cheese. Roll up in the tortillas and place in the baking dish.
5. In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Add in the broth and whisk until smooth. Continue cooking until the mixture begins to bubble.
6. Slowly whisk in the sour cream, pepper, and green chilies. Immediately remove from heat so that the yogurt doesn't curdle. Pour over top of the enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
7. Bake for 20 minutes and then heat under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese.
Powered by Recipage




8 comments:

  1. I love that you've made your own white sauce. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT sounds and looks delicious. I've never had white enchiladas before and would love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad you liked these! We have these on the menu every few weeks because we like them so much! I can't believe you ended up making 4 of my recipes, I feel honored. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DELICIOUS choice. I love Mexican food (I even chose Mexican for my SRC choice this month, too!), and this looks like a delicious take on enchiladas. Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sold! I love enchiladas and look forward to trying this version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So So awesome !!! Its great for this coming holidays.

    sweets delivery

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It