Monday, January 14, 2013

Healthy Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Cookies

    After a break during the holidays, the Secret Recipe Club is back. I was so excited to get my assignment and start searching for the "one." This month, I was assigned to Jennifer's blog; Peanut Butter and Peppers. Jennifer is a lot like me in some ways. I used to think eating healthy and losing weight was about eating as little calories as possible. Now I know, as Jennifer discovered, the more you eat, the more you lose...in moderation of course. A little exercise doesn't hurt either.
     Right after I was given this month's assignment, my sister told me she was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  I found two recipes to test out that are not only gluten free, but also delicious. I sent them to my sister, and told her I tried them and loved them. I was most impressed that I didn't have to buy any special ingredients to make these gluten free! The first recipe I tried was Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cashew Butter. I ate some plain, then I rolled some up with a banana in a tortilla for a to-go lunch. Oh.My.Yum!
     I chose to make healthy dark chocolate oatmeal cookies for this month's reveal. Besides being delicious and easy to make, they are good for you! It's dairy, flour, and sugar free so it fits into everyone's diet...and for about 60 calories/cookie, you can even eat two or three! I'm sure you are thinking, how can these cookies be good? They are! They are rich and chocolaty. If dark chocolate isn't your favorite, just substitute whatever chips you do like.
     I made three changes from Jennifer's recipe. I used real maple syrup rather than sugar free syrup. I also used Ghiradelli chips instead of squares that you had to chop up. Finally, I only ground up half of the oats so the texture would be more like traditional oatmeal cookies.  Nutritional information/cookie:
61 calories, 8g carbs, 3g fat, 1g protein, 3g sugar, and 1g fiber



Healthy Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Robin
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 12 min
Ingredients (12-15 cookies)
  • 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp. real maple syrup
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup oats, (1/2 cup ground, 1/2 cup oats)
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 oz Ghiraradelli 60% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate Chips or chips of choice
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350*
Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat; set aside.
In a large bowl add coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Add oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt; mix until combined.
Fold in chocolate
Take a teaspoon size of batter or use cookie scoop to place batter on cookie sheet, about 2" apart. The cookies do not spread.
Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until bottom is lightly golden. Let them rest on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes and cool on a baking rack.
Powered by Recipage



5 comments:

  1. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite - thank you for this healthier version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious, and would be perfect for my son with food allergies! I am pinning this and plan to make it super soon!! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin,
    Your Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Cookies look awesome. This is a great recipe for the SRC, thanks for sharing.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cookies robin and have no doubt these would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to let you know that I featured this in my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post - stop by and see.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It