Friday, January 11, 2013

Spicy Szechuan Beef

     I really wanted Chinese takeout tonight. We've been homebound most of the week with a feverish kiddo, so that wasn't really an option. This asian-inspired dish took the craving away, and didn't leaving me wishing I had the real deal. 
     I found this recipe in a Trader Joes Cookbook (find the link at the end of this post). The description says this recipe was inspired by a specialty of the Szechuan province of China; Ma Po Tofu. I've  never tried tofu, and honestly, I'm a little scared to. I have texture issues with certain things, and it seems like tofu would be squishy. I substituted one pound of lean ground beef  instead of one pound of tofu and a half pound of meat.
    This was my second time making this dish, and we really like it. It gets my family to eat peas...once you can convince them they don't taste like peas when they are coated in this tasty sauce. We used the General Tsao sauce from Trader Joe's, and I wouldn't say it was spicy really. I guess depending on the brand you use, it could be. If you like a little more spice, add in some red pepper flakes.
     I served this with mandarin oranges and brown rice to make a balanced, nutritious meal. If you are curious, the nutritional information follows:
Per Serving: 306 calories, 22g carbs, 12g fat, 25g protein, 16g sugar, and 2g fiber



    
Spicy Szechuan Beef

by Robin
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
1-lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp crushed ginger
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup General Tsao Stir Fry Sauce
1Tbl soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Instructions
  • Brown meat of choice. Add garlic, ginger, and peas. Cook 2 minutes longer.
  • Add stir fry sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Cook for 3 minutes or until heated through.
  • Remove from heat and serve over rice.
Powered by Recipage


1 comment:

  1. Need to pick up some of that stir fry sauce and give this a try. I crave Chinese food often. This sounds delicious. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It